christophffischer

christophffischer

Fantastic

Daughters of Iraq - Revital Shiri-Horowitz

"Daughters of Iraq" by Revital Shiri-Horowitz is a touching and informative read, the story of three women from the same family as they live as Jews in Iraq and Israel.
The story is told in alternating episodes jumping between three eras: Iraq in the 1940s and its seemingly happy Jewish community as it falls apart after the creation of Israel. Jews become the object of hate and most emigrate to Israel. Then life in Israel in the 1950s as the newcomers to the state realise they have lost their homes and some of their previous identity. And last life in Israel in the 1980s for the next generation.
The writing moved me with its melancholic tone and all characters are beautifully created and lovable.
the theme of migration and its effect on the women is very insightful and gave me a lot to think about. Jewish people of various national and cultural identities having to blend together, overcome language barriers and re-define themselves in a new society that has stripped them off their previous status.
This book is rich in so many ways, I can only recommend you pick it up and read it.