christophffischer

christophffischer

Hawaiian Lei of Shrunken Heads - Katerina Sestakova Novotna, Jesse Rebock

“Hawaiian Lei of Shrunken Heads” by Katerina Sestakova Novotna is a collection of dark and often comical murder stories set in Hawaii.
The first story opened the book well with the very entertaining mythological story of a volcano’s likeness and function as vagina. The myth used for the story is the first of many that showcase various cultural, racial and religious colourings found in Hawaii. The stories vary in character and are never predictable, always keeping the reader interested and on their toes.
Quirky and tongue-in-cheek on one hand, yet reflective, thoughtful and intelligent on the other, this is a unique and very enjoyable collection. Spiritual, sexual and at times gory this may be seen controversial to some, while it remains impressive and beautifully eclectic to this reader.
The presented slices of Hawaiian life reinforced my urge to go and see this beautiful spot of the world. I felt stimulated and thoughtful after finishing this book, glad I left some characters behind and missing others. The author has found a great niche in the market and I hope you’ll enjoy this book as much as I did.