christophffischer

christophffischer

Echoes of Narcissus in the Gardens of Delight - Jo Robinson

“Echoes of Narcissus in the Gardens of Delight” by Jo Robinson is a powerful story. It is the gripping account of a woman’s life and relationship as influenced by her husband’s behaviour. I didn’t know myself until I read this book that there is a condition, called ‘malignant narcissism” but caught up quickly with it through this fine and well-crafted novel.
With excellent attention for detail and great illustrations of the various signs, symptoms and effects of the disease on the sufferer and their environment, the book felt like a revelation.
We all probably know people who are controlling, manipulating and abusive to others. Donna is married to one of these people and over the years has taken on his negative view of hers.
By chance she meets a group of people who contrast this negative view and help her to find a different way of looking at herself.
Besides this great personal development and characterisation there is a great side-plot about Mario that adds a suspenseful dramatic curve.
A great read on many levels.