christophffischer

christophffischer

Struggling to Survive: A story of love, crime, and deception in the new Russia (Anya Series Book 2) - Julia Gousseva

“Struggling to Survive: A story of love, crime, and deception in the new Russia (Anya Series Book 2)” by Julia Gousseva is the long awaited sequel to Anya’s Story. Now a single mother and widow in the ever changing new Russia Anya meets her old friend Katia, who helps her make a living on the edge of legality. People are struggling to survive, as the title so rightfully says. The picture of life in Moscow with its supply issues, market forces, economics and criminals is very well depicted and made me realise how much I take for granted in my own life and how little I knew about living in a corrupt environment. A great story that is eye opening on a cultural and sociological scale but also a very good story when it comes to Anya and her life story and her love life. Her ex-boyfriend Victor reappears in this story although, again, things are not straightforward at all. Excellent sub-plots touch on Afghanistan under Russian rule and the drug trade. Gousseva has once again delivered a very readable and gripping book that will tear on your heartstrings and shed light on life in Moscow after Communism. I have a penchant for books set in foreign countries and this is one of the best I read in that genre for a while. I hope there will be more in the series.