christophffischer

christophffischer

Excellent

Among the Shrouded - Amalie Jahn

"Among the Shrouded" by Amalie Jahn is a powerful and remarkable book
about an unimaginable and dark crime that is still happening in significant numbers in our modern world: Human trafficking.

Told from the perspective of several characters in Baltimore it shows the tragic life of women coming to the US in naive hope for a better future, only to find themselves trapped. Written with amazing empathy and care the book focuses on one particular woman from the Ukraine.

The parallel storyline that starts the novel off and which eventually intertwines with the trafficking concerns a woman who can see auras and who becomes fascinated with a man whose aura she cannot see during a police lineup. The supernatural theme of seeing auras is kept at a low profile, yet it has signifance in the story, just as other seemingly unconnected elements of the story come together unexpectedly.

The cast of characters that make up the story is perfectly chosen to bring home more subtle messages than the tragedy that is human slavery. The story of 'the man without an aura' is just as touching and moving. Jahn knows how to pull heartstrings but does so in a really tasteful and artistic manner.

There is hope and inspiration in the book, not all is doom and gloom. This is the second book by the author that I have read and - like "The Clay Lion" - I cannot recommend it highly enough.